Everyone knows home maintenance is important. It can extend the life of your home’s systems and appliances and keep your home in good working order for many years to come. But it’s not always easy to stay on top of all of the maintenance tasks you need to do to keep your home up to date. With these hacks, you’ll be able to make home maintenance just a little easier. They’re simple ways you can maintain your home in just a few minutes at a time.
Bedroom Maintenance Hacks
Keep your bedroom clean and healthy with these maintenance hacks for your mattress.
- Use a cover for your mattress: Stop water stains and bed bugs in their tracks with a waterproof or bug proof mattress cover.
- Disinfect your mattress with vodka spray: Spray a light layer of vodka onto your mattress to kill bacteria and disinfect the surface. Allow it to dry and then replace your sheets.
Bathroom Maintenance Hacks
The bathroom is often one of the toughest places to clean and maintain in your home. With these hacks, you can stay on top of maintenance and make cleaning easier.
- Use painter’s tape for caulking: Caulking bathrooms can be difficult even for experienced DIYers. But if you apply painter’s tape first, you can get straight and even lines every time. Just clean the area first, allow it to dry, and apply painter’s tape. Apply the caulk and remove the tape while it’s still wet.
- Remove water spots from chrome with lemon: Water spots can be stubborn, but if you rub a cut lemon over chrome, you can remove them.
- Apply car wax to prevent toilet bowl stains: Put synthetic car wax on the walls of your toilet bowl to make it difficult for stains to stick. Recoat every six months or so.
- Put your shower curtain liner in the washer: If you’re having a hard time keeping your shower curtain liner clean, put it in the washing machine to get it clean. You can even use bleach. Just be sure to hang it to dry.
- Waterproof bathroom walls: Use rubber floor tiles to waterproof the walls in your bathroom, especially kids’ bathrooms.
- Clean your exhaust fan with canned air: Dust and dirt can build up in your exhaust fan, making it less efficient. Use canned air to get it clean.
- Clean grout with a bleach pen: Banish stains and bacteria from bathroom tile grout using a bleach pen.
- Stop mirror fog with shaving cream: Clean your bathroom mirror with shaving cream
- Polish chrome with baby oilGet chrome to shine like new with baby oil.
- Unclog drains with Alka Seltzer: Let tiny bubbles unclog your bath, shower, and sink drains without harsh chemicals.
- Remove shower head buildup with vinegar in a bag: Attach a bag filled with vinegar to your shower head and let it sit for a while to remove crusty build up.
- Remove hair from your drain with a drain snake: Hair in your drain can make it difficult to drain your bathtub or sink and even lead to clogs. Use a drain snake to pull it out quickly and easily.
- Remove hard water stains on faucets with a vinegar soak: No matter how hard you scrub, some hard water stains just won’t budge. Put vinegar soaked paper towels around them to remove the stains.
Kitchen Maintenance Hacks
Cooking oils, dust, and general dirt and grime build up quickly in kitchens. With these maintenance hacks, you can keep surfaces clean, shiny, and healthy while extending the life of your kitchen.